Founding Director of Hawksmoor
Previously Land and Property Director with HJ Banks and Co Ltd
Formerly Regional Land Manager with British Coal
BSc Hons – Estate Management
University of Reading
Second Class Honours Division One
Higher National Certificate (HNC) – Mine Surveying
Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) – Mine Surveying
Registered RICS Valuer
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Full Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
1999 – Present
Founding Director of Hawksmoor Property Services Limited
1993 – 1999
H J Banks and Company Limited Estates Manager
1975 – 1992
British Coal Corporation – Central West/Northern Region
1989 – 1992 Regional Land Manager (Northern)
1986 – 1989 Assistant Regional Land Manager (Central West)
1978 – 1986 Lands Officer (Northern)
1975 – 1978 Land Surveyor (Northern)
KEY SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Negotiating rights in land for mining, property development, energy and waste management schemes.
- Disposal of surplus land and property exploiting any development potential.
- Negotiating with planning authorities to secure the most valuable end uses for land.
- Preparation of planning applications and involvement in Public Inquiries.
- Preparation of and projections for annual budgets together with ongoing budgetary control.
- Selection by competitive tender and supervision of contractors and consultants.
- Negotiating and settling compensation claims.
- Advising on use of compulsory powers to secure rights in land.
- Valuation of land and property for a variety of purposes.
- Preparation of reports and making public presentations.
- Extensive knowledge of the development processes involved in bringing forward mineral extraction, waste management, energy and property development schemes.
- Project Management of major development schemes up to the point of obtaining planning permission.
- Successfully managed an estate of approximately 40,000 acres.
- Produced annual sales from the estate of £4m with an income of £750,000 per annum (early 1990’s).
- Controlled the restoration of 15 opencast sites, comprising agricultural, forestry, industrial and residential development land with a spend budget of £4-5m per annum (late 1980’s).
- Secured under option 10-15 new development sites (many comprising multiple ownership) each year over a six year period (1990’s).
- Successfully project managed a portfolio of thirty development sites nationwide including two major schemes involving joint ventures between different development companies (1990’s – present).
- Negotiated rights in land by option, lease, conditional contract and purchase for a variety of clients and for different purposes.
- Negotiated planning permissions with local authorities including viability work in connection with S106 Agreements.
- Sold several valuable development sites for retained clients.
- Represented retained clients in negotiations with acquiring authorities using CPO powers including one attendance at Lands Tribunal.
Keen traveller who enjoys cycling and general fitness. Season ticket holder at Manchester United.